On this episode of MakingChips, Jim interviews his son Ryan Carr, Operations Manager at CARR Machine and Tool, Inc. along with Paul Van Metre, Co-Founder of ProShop ERP, about the risk and reward of implementing a new ERP system. During the interview, Ryan shares about the decision-making process and how they have been applying the new, full-spectrum ERP called ProShop. Listen as Ryan and Paul explain why an ERP is so important and how you can start the process of implementing one in your business.
Connect with us:www.MakingChips.com/contact
Taking the Plunge Into a New ERP System
Prior to purchasing the new ERP system, Ryan explains that there were inefficiencies and redundancies at CARR Machine and Tool, Inc. Data entry required multiple steps with numerous papers being unnecessarily shuffled around the office. Knowing that something had to be done to move the company forward, Jim and Ryan called in Paul Van Metre to explain how ProShop could help them. Hear how implementing the new ERP system is significantly minimizing redundancy and increasing efficiency.
Becoming the Metal-Working Nation’s Premier ERP System
Paul Van Metre was an experienced manufacturer prior to developing ProShop. He ran his own machine shop and experienced great success. His business grew to the point that they needed a better way to manage the company's data. After searching and trying other ERPs, Paul and his team decided to build their own program. ProShop was originally intended only for internal use, but after a customer asked to purchase their proprietary software, Paul knew they had a product that the metal-working nation needed. Listen to the story of how ProShop became the premier ERP system in the manufacturing market during this episode of MakingChips.
The Benefits of an ERP System in Your Company
Paul Van Metre says, “The economy drives off of taking raw materials and turning them into high-precision, value-added products. You can’t run an economy just making lattes and selling insurance.” Manufacturing is important, but it’s also challenging. An ERP creates a centralized place where all files are stored and easily accessed. Implementing an ERP can help streamline your processes, keep you organized and efficient, and better position you for success in your market.
Assessing the Risk and Reward for Your Company
Running your own manufacturing business can be difficult. Companies need as many tools as possible to help them be successful. Big, expensive decisions aren’t easy, but if you don’t change today, you’re competition will. You have to be willing to adapt and try new things to stay relevant in the market. Jim and Jason encourage you to analyze your company to see where you can reduce redundancies and inefficiencies. Listen to this week’s episode to learn more about how an ERP system can benefit your company.
Here’s The Good Stuff!
- Manufacturing News: The $717 Billion Dollar National Defense Authorization Act and how it impacts manufacturing
- How Zenger’s is working to increase efficiency and throughput utilizing a new ERP system
- Jim introduces his son Ryan Carr, Operations Manager at CARR Machine and Tool, Inc.
- Ryan shares how he approached the idea of changing ERP system after using the previous one for 20 years.
- Introduction of Paul Van Metre, Co-Founder of ProShop ERP
- Paul Van Metre shares how he launched ProShop through an organic process
- Ways the ProShop is helping CARR Machine and Tool, Inc. become more efficient
- How ProShop integrates ISO and AS9100 to organize procedures, certifications and quality systems
- Ryan shares his personal and company goals for utilizing ProShop
Tools & Takeaways
This Week’s Superstar Guest
Connect With MakingChips
Subscribe to Making Chips on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Stitcher, or Spotify